Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn logo Snapchat Youtube Pinterest
BOOK YOUR EVENT
Home > Yesteryear Village > Yesteryear Village 30th Celebration

Yesteryear Village 30th Celebration

Yesteryear Village at the South Florida Fairgrounds is nearing its 30th birthday, and a year-long celebration kicks-off Friday, September 18, 2020 to commemorate the date the first structure - the Loxahatchee Schoolhouse - arrived on-site in 1990.

The year-long celebration will include virtual and in-person events, activities, remembrance videos and photos, interviews with long-time supporters and volunteers, culminating on Saturday, September 18, 2021 with an official ceremony. This year-long fun, family-friendly celebration is aimed to honor the Village's rich legacy and showcase our impact supporting history, education, and tradition.

Join us in the 30th Celebration of Yesteryear Village by following us on social media or subscribe to our newsletter here: http://www.southfloridafair.com/email.aspx

It all started here, on September 18, 1990 when the Loxahatchee Schoolhouse Committee, a volunteer citizens group, seeing that the building was deteriorating and suffering considerable damage opted to move the school to the Fairgrounds where it could be protected and restored. At that time, a Yesteryear Village Committee was formed, incorporating members of the original Loxahatchee Schoolhouse Committee, directors and staff of the South Florida Fair and other interested citizens. John Kenyon Riddle, a trustee of the Fair, was the first Committee Chairman.

The building, a wood frame, vernacular structure was constructed by Roy Burg in 1935 and opened in 1936 with one teacher, six grades and 13 children. It served as an elementary school until 1965 and is said to be one of the longest used schoolhouses in Palm Beach County. Thereafter, at its original site, the school was utilized as a community center, a voting location and a house of worship for several churches. In 1987, the school was moved to Loxahatchee Groves Park, before coming under the supervision of the Committee.

Building on Loxahatchee Groves Park
Building on Loxahatchee Groves Park
Building on Loxahatchee Groves Park
Ready to be moved to the Fairgrounds
Ready to be moved to the Fairgrounds
The move to YYV was completed on September 18, 1990. The building was not set on a permanent foundation at that time as a new master plan for the Fairgrounds was under way. On August 10, 1991, the school was tied down at its final location and restoration work started. In December of 2000, supported by Florida Senator Tom Rossin and Congressman Mark A. Foley among others, a special projects grant application was submitted to the The Honorable Katherine Harris, Florida Secretary of State and the Division of Historical Resources. The grant was used for structural restoration of the Schoolhouse.
Arrival on September 18, 1990
Before interior restoration
Interior restoration
Porch was rebuilt
Completion
First viewing by Fairgoers
Today, the Loxahatchee Schoolhouse is a landmark structure in Yesteryear Village and is a fine example of early schoolhouses in rural Florida featuring one or two rooms. It is available to visitors and school tours for history studies and conversations with first person interpreters, like Miss Roxie here in this virtual tour of the Schoolhouse:

Related - Old Time Children Games during recess

NEXT UP - Red Level Baptist Church
Back to
Top
BOOK YOUR EVENT