RESERVATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
Want to join in the fun and experience of raising and showing Black Jersey Giant Pullet Chicks for the 2024 South Florida Fair? If so, we have a great opportunity for youth to be a part of this exciting program!Reservations are open now through May 22, 2023 for first come, first serve exhibitors wanting to participate. Age groups are: Pee Wee: 5-7 years old; Junior: 8-11 years old; Intermediate: 12-14 years old; and Senior: 15-18 years old.
Chick Pickup - SATURDAY, June 3, 2023
9am - 12noon
The South Florida Fair's Youth Pullet Project engages youth in learning life skills while having fun raising chickens. Participants should expect to start chicks out in a brooder (warm and protective environment) and move them into a coop as they get older. These are ordered as “pullets,” the hatchery guarantees 90 percent pullets: cockerels.
Once you register below, we will contact you to collect payment (by credit card only).$25 fee includes:
• 6 Black Jersey Giant chicks (approximately 2 weeks old) and a 5 pound bag of Chick Starter
• 2024 South Florida Fair Pullet Project Poultry Show and Auction (optional, see below)
• Blood testing for show by the Florida Department of Agriculture
• Pullet Project Record Book
Expectations and Requirements of Exhibitors
- Quality care of pullets (safe from bad weather, pets, predators, etc.)
- Participation in the South Florida Fair Pullet Project Poultry Show (MUST show 3 pullets)
- Completion of Pullet Project Record Book.
- Those choosing to sell their Pullets in the market auction must turn in their completed Record Book within 30 minutes of the auction conclusion.
- 5 Market Auction Buyer Letters (with 2 new buyers and addresses by October 30). Exhibitors must confirm at Fair check-in of market auction participation. 5 percent will be deducted from total sale price for auction expenses and $25 photo/plaque fee. The market auction is a terminal event for the project.
YOUTH GRAND CHAMPION PRIZE - $250.00
YOUTH RESERVE CHAMPION PRIZE- $150.00